We’re heading into winter now and suddenly warm, roast-y dishes are on our radar again.
This tray bake of orange-coloured vegetables with its spicy, crunchy topping will add lots of colour to your meal, but will also sit nicely on the table with any number of main course dishes over the autumn/winter months.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
1.2kg jap pumpkin, cut into wedges
1kg sweet potato, skin lightly scrubbed and cut into thick slices
1 bunch Dutch carrots, trimmed and washed
4 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
6 sprigs fresh thyme
Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Toss prepared vegetables, garlic and thyme with enough olive oil to coat (3-4Tb). Season well with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Place onto baking trays in a single layer and bake for 40 minutes until soft
To serve pile baked vegetables onto a large serving platter (or leave on the baking tray!) and sprinkle over a handful of Spiced Savoury Granola. Serve extra granola for sprinkling in a small bowl.
Notes: You can eat the skin of all of these vegetables, however if you prefer you can peel them before cooking.
Spiced Savoury Granola Sprinkle
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Makes about 3½ cups
Make this spiced nuts and seeds mixture to have on hand as a crunchy sprinkle on roast veg, over hummus, or just as a cheeky nibble with a drink. The crushed coriander seeds give it a citrussy tang, while the turmeric and cayenne add a little hum of spice.
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
½ cup raw macadamias, roughly chopped
½ cup rolled oats
2 Tb coriander seeds, roughly crushed
2 Tb white sesame seeds
1 Tb black sesame seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp sea salt
1 Tb brown sugar
1 Tb olive oil
1 Tb soy sauce or tamari
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Combine all the ingredients except the soy sauce in a shallow baking dish. Mix really well to coat the seeds, nuts and oats with the spices and oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir well.
- Continue to bake for another 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
- Remove from oven, drizzle over the soy sauce, toss and stir well to combine while hot.
- Set aside to cool.
Store in an airtight container in the pantry.