There’s more than one way to serve up a sausage!
Why not try this mouth-watering Moroccan tagine style one pot meal and enjoy the delicious simplicity.
Sausages are full of flavour and Gilbert’s lamb sausages are perfect for this dish. You could enjoy it with some instant couscous, however it really is a complete dish just as it is. You could think about throwing in some preserved lemon to take the dish to the next level, or if you like some sweetness, add chopped dates or dried apricots.
10 Gilbert’s Lamb Sausages
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion diced
3 clove garlic, peeled and squashed
3 stick celery, finely diced
2 large carrot, one finely diced, one chopped into chunks
2-3 tbsp Moroccan spice mix
2 coriander bunches, stalks and roots, finely chopped (save leaves for garnish)
400g chopped tomato
2 cup chicken stock
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 head broccoli sliced through the head lengthways, 2cm thick
4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
• Place 1tbsp oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add sausages and brown, turning to caramelize each side then remove sausages to a plate.
• Add remaining oil, onion, garlic, celery and diced carrot. Cook tossing for 5 minutes.
• Add the spice mix and cook tossing for another two minutes until aromatic.
• Now add the carrot chunks, coriander stalk and root, tomato and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
• Add the sausages back into your pan with the chickpeas, stir to combine and keep the pot on a simmer for 15 minutes or until the sausages have cooked through and the flavours developed.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Turn the heat up a little, lay the broccoli on the top, seal the pan with a fitted lid and allow the broccoli to steam for 5 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
• Serve the tagine sprinkled with pomegranate seeds, coriander and mint.